Skip to main content
(212) 434-4050 (212) 371-3223 (FACE)
A doctor examining woman's face.

The ability to smile is something that most of us take for granted. We don’t truly understand how important it is for us to be able to express ourselves until that ability is taken away. Facial paralysis often causes people to lose the ability to smile or express themselves through facial expressions. Facial paralysis is the loss of facial movement resulting from inflammation, injury, infection, or absence of the facial nerve or facial musculature. Treatment for facial paralysis can include facial reanimation surgery.

Facial reanimation surgery, colloquially called “smile surgery,” is a procedure that can help improve or even restore normal facial movement.

Not everyone with facial paralysis needs facial reanimation. Many patients recover from an acute episode of flaccid paralysis, with 70% experiencing no lingering symptoms. Yet, the remaining 30% may suffer from full or partial paralysis that does not improve.

Dr. Teresa O specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of facial nerve disorders. She is Director of the Facial Nerve Center at Lenox Hill and Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospitals. Dr. O received extensive education and training in facial nerve reanimation with Drs. Hadlock and Cheney at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston. She focuses on pediatric and adult facial plastic surgery, working closely with Dr. Milton Waner in the medical and surgical management of vascular lesions. Dr. O is dual Board Certified in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.

At New York Facial Paralysis, Dr. O understands that no two people are alike. She is dedicated to creating a personalized approach for each patient to help improve facial movement and appearance. The type of treatment for facial paralysis is contingent on the cause and nature of the paralysis. Treatment may include a combination of medical, surgical, and facial nerve specific physical therapy.

Contact our office today to schedule a consultation. We are here to help.

Posted on behalf of New York Facial Paralysis

Grand Park Building, 110 East 40 Street, Suite 501
New York, NY 10016

Phone: (212) 434-4050

FAX: (212) 434-4059


Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM



New York Facial Paralysis

At Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital

Grand Park Building, 110 East 40 Street, Suite 501
New York, NY 10016

(212) 434-4050 (212) 371-3223 (FACE)

Opening Times: Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM

If you are interested in discussing your case with the NYFP specialists: